COMPREHENSIVE EYE CARE SECTION
OCULAR PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST
Submission Window Opens May 15
The contest submission window will be open from May 15 to July 1 at 11:45 PM CST
If you have any questions, please email contest co-chairs Dr. April M. Lewis and Dr. Melanie Gonzalez-Oliva.
Past Contest Winners
View the past Comprehensive Eye Care Section Ocular Photography Contest Winners!
The annual Comprehensive Eye Care Section Ocular Photography Contest will be open from May 15th to 11:45 PM CST on July 1, with the winners being notified by August 1.
Optometrists may submit up to two entries per category:
- Anterior Segment Category: Lids, Conjunctiva, Cornea, Contact Lens, Iris, Lens, Angle/Gonioscopy, digital color photo
- Posterior Segment Category: Vitreous, Optic Nerve, Retina, Color/Red-free photo, Fluorescein Angiography/ICG, Fundus Auto-fluorescence
The images will be graded by a panel of judges “blind” to the photographer’s name. Each submission will be graded using seven different criteria, each of which is scored 1-10. The criteria used are as follows: Focus, Exposure, Field of View, Difficulty of Capturing Image, Absence of Distracting Elements, Lighting, and Visual Impact (the “wow” factor).
The Grand Prize winner from each category will receive complimentary registration to this year’s Academy meeting and will have the winning image published in the Academy’s Post-Meeting Newsletter. In addition to the two Grand Prize winners, the contest will award four Honorable Mentions. All of the winning submissions will be assembled into a photo display at the Academy meeting.
Please note the submission process and rules have changed. Please review the guidelines and sample entry form before beginning your contest entry. An American Academy of Optometry online account is required to submit an entry. If you already have an existing account, you may use it. If not, please create an account. Emailed submission forms and photos will no longer be accepted. Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered. If you have any questions, please email contest co-chairs Dr. April M. Lewis and Dr. Melanie Gonzalez-Oliva at AcademyPhotographyContest@gmail.com.
To help prepare for a successful submission, please review the sample submission form here. When you are ready to submit an official contest entry, click the “Submit” button on the left.
Image submissions that do not adhere to the following guidelines are not eligible, will be rejected, and the contest entry will be deleted:
- All submissions must be in English.
- Degree/Credential Requirements: Only optometrists (or those with equivalent credentials if practicing outside of the United States) may be designated as the primary designee. This is the person who is to receive the prize if selected as a winner. You may acknowledge other doctors, students, or ocular photographers who assisted in the case during the submission process. Please include the credentials of any acknowledgments.
- Please submit images in one of the following formats: PNG, JPG, JPEG, and GIF.
- The images must remain in a non-modified manner, i.e. no enhancements by either proprietary software from which the image was captured, or by programs such as Adobe Photoshop™. No 35 mm slides, photographic prints, or neuro-imaging studies will be accepted.
- At least one image must include an intact ocular structure from a human eye. For example, images of a foreign body after removal with no accompanying ocular photos will not be accepted.
- Corneal topography, anterior or posterior OCT, HRT, GDx, or B-scan ultrasound images may be submitted as supporting images only, and can no longer be stand-alone images in this contest. They must be accompanied by an ocular photo as described above.
- Only four images per entry/case will be allowed. Multiple images, either sequential in time (as in a fluorescein angiogram), or using different technologies to image the same entity (as in a color photo and fluorescein angiography), or to fully appreciate the size of the entity may also be submitted, but will be limited to four images total per contest entry.
- We reserve the right to make small alterations to winning submissions, including but not limited to photo caption and case description, for the purpose of clarity and aesthetics during display and publication.
- Duplicate entries: Do not re-submit a case to make corrections. If you have made a mistake, please email AcademyPhotographyContest@gmail.com right away and wait for further instructions. Any and all duplicate entries will be disqualified and deleted, and doctors submitting duplicate entries will be disqualified from the contest altogether.
- Partial submissions cannot be saved and accessed at a later time; therefore, be prepared to complete your submission in its entirety. A preview of the submission form is available at the link above.
- Photos, captions, and case descriptions must not include any identifying information. This includes: practice name, physician name, patient name, date of birth, date of service, etc. No images with identifying facial features will be accepted.
Image submissions that do not adhere to these guidelines will be rejected.