Academy 2020 At Home – We’re Coming To You
Over the past few months, the American Academy of Optometry has continually monitored the COVID-19 situation and its impact on Nashville as well as their phased re-opening. During this time, we’ve diligently worked with the Music City Center, our hotel partners, and exhibitor service and logistics vendors to plan and implement onsite safety measures for our highly anticipated annual meeting. You may recall in late April and late June, we also sent a survey to you, our loyal attendees, industry partners and exhibitors, and received feedback and concerns about attending an in-person meeting and we listened to the challenges that this may cause.
Based on these factors, the Academy has made the decision to move from an on-site, in-person meeting in Nashville to a virtual one. Your health and well-being have been our primary focus and in spite of our best efforts to ensure on-site safety, we feel this is the best decision for all involved. As such, we are pleased to present Academy 2020 virtually, bringing it to you in the comfort, safety, and convenience of your home or office.
Got questions? Download our Frequently Asked Questions.
Registration Fees Include:
- CE Session Access (additional fees apply for ACE Courses and Leadership Courses)
- Working with our speakers and sponsors, we’ll be bringing you nearly 300 hours of continuing education and it will allow all participants to earn up to nearly 80 hours of COPE approved CE CREDITS! Please note that the CE credits during Academy 2020 At Home are designated by COPE as “live” credits, not distance learning (with testing).
- CE Certificate
- Virtual Exhibit Hall Access, Industry Presentations, Virtual Theater Sessions, and much more!
- Social & Special Events: Well, socially distanced special events… Nashville is Music City which is home to some of the world’s most renowned artisans, restaurants and much, much more… and we’re working to bring these experiences to you so you feel like you’re in a Honky Tonk on Broadway, instead of in your living room.
If you’ve already registered… you’re all set as you will automatically receive access to the virtual delivery at no additional cost! However, if you feel you do not want to participate at all this year, the Academy will waive all cancellation fees and issue a full refund if you decide not to attend. We simply ask for cancellation requests to be submitted in writing. Email us (Registration@aaoptom.org) for your refund request. Please allow two to four weeks for this to be processed.
- Fellows/Candidates: $435
- Honorary Emeritus: $110
- OD/Vision Scientists: $795
- Students/Residents: $0*
- Thanks for the generous support of our Industry Partners, Student/Resident registration is complimentary! You simply need to register online prior to the meeting.
- *If you are not already a student or resident member of the Academy, please apply online now.
- Please note, if you register for this and you are NOT a student or resident member of the Academy, you will be charged the full amount and/or will not receive access to the virtual program.
- The Academy is pleased to offer you the Academy member rate of $435. At the time of registration, please select the option denoting you are a member of AFOS, WO, AOA, or OGS.
- Please note, if you register for this and you are NOT a member of AFOS, WO, AOA, or OGS, you will be charged the full amount and/or will not receive access to the virtual program
You’re Invited to the Women of Optometry’s 2020 Women’s Leadership Conference
Tuesday, October 13 – Thursday, October, 15
7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Savings Time
The Women in Optometry’s 2020 Women’s Leadership Conference offers something unique that no other meeting does: A curated meeting for women offering “the best of the best” content in all subjects of importance to women ODs. Nowhere else will attendees find so many dynamic speakers and specialized educational content designed specifically by and for women. This is a must-attend event!
Sign up today, but registering for Academy 2020 At Home! Women of Optometry members receive the Academy Fellows rate: $435.
October 13, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Dr. Barbara Caffery, OD, PhD, FAAO, President, American Academy of Optometry
- Workforce & Demographic Update, presented in conjunction with NECO
- Leadership Keynote
October 14, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- What are you worth? (Self-Advocacy & Negotiating)
- Making the Undiscussable Discussable (Communication)
October 15, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Secrets of Our Success: Women Leaders Divulge the Most Powerful Skills for Advancement (Business Leadership
- Workplace Well-Being: Creating a Productive and Positive Culture (Practice Culture/Staffing)
- 2020 Theia Awards
While may not be celebrating collegiality, fellowship, and friendship in person in Nashville, we will be doing so from the safety and security of our homes. During this planning time, your safety was our top priority and it was imperative we adjust our meeting to meet the changing times.
With a focus on continuing to bring value to the optometric community and delivering the highest quality education, the Academy never stopped working to identify and research the technology platform, secure “live” COPE continuing education (CE) approval, and coordinating with speakers, exhibitors and sponsors, in an effort to bring you Academy 2020 At Home!
Fellows, Candidates for Fellowship and student/resident members save significantly. Not a member? Click here to learn more.
*Students who graduated in 2020 and residents who finished their program in 2020 are eligible to register at the Student/Resident rate.
Since this year’s meeting will be held virtually, Student and Resident Travel Fellowship grants will not be necessary. If you had one for Nashville, it will roll over to Academy 2021 Boston. Additionally, if you earned your Student Fellowship at Academy 2019 Orlando, the complimentary registration will be extended to Academy 2021 Boston as well.
Just because we aren’t traveling doesn’t mean that the Student Fellowship Program isn’t happening – because it most certainly is, and additional details will be coming soon. All OD student members of the Academy graduating in 2021 or later who have not yet earned their Student Fellowship will be eligible to participate.